MAKOplasty® Total Hip Replacement
MAKOplasty is an innovative, breakthrough solution for those suffering with painful degenerative joint disease (DJD) of the hip and need a total hip replacement. MAKOplasty, powered by the RIO® Robotic Arm Interactive Orthopedic System, allows your surgeon to treat your specific hip condition with accuracy and precision.
During surgery, the robotic arm guides your surgeon in preparing your socket in the pelvis and positioning the implants. Real-time information and images allow your surgeon to know and control accurate implant placement, which can be difficult to achieve using traditional surgical techniques without a robotics arm.
MAKOplasty® benefits may include:
- Accurate placement of your hip implant using the surgeon-controlled robotic arm system, which can reduce the likelihood of hip dislocation
- More consistency in leg length, potentially decreasing the need for a shoe lift
- Decreased risk of the implant and bone rubbing together – this may improve the lifetime of the implant.
How does MAKOplasty® work?
One to two weeks prior to your surgery date, you will have a CT scan of your hip. This is used to create a 3-D model of your hip, pelvis, and femur.
The surgeon uses the RIO® software with information from the model to plan your surgery based on your unique anatomy. During surgery the software provides real-time information to optimize implant positioning and alignment, and the robotic arm is used to prepare your socket and guide placement of the implants.
Who is a good candidate for MAKOplasty® Total Hip procedure?
If you have one or more of the following symptoms, talk to your doctor. You may be a candidate for MAKOplasty.
- Pain while putting weight on the affected joints
- Limping to lessen the weight-bearing pressure on the hip
- Hip pain of stiffness during walking or other impact activities
- Failure to respond to non-surgical treatments of pain medication.
For more information or for a physician referral for MAKOplasty® Total Hip Replacement, please call 405.979.7700